Southern District, Eastern Region,
SC Federation of Music Clubs, and
Charleston Music Club
2020 Summer Music Study Awards Application Information and Rules
Saturday, January 25, 2020 - audition date
Open to Residents of the following counties: Beaufort, Berkeley, Charleston, Colleton, Dorchester, and Jasper
1. Deadline for application is January 17, 2020.
2. **Personal statement: Please explain in two or three sentences why you are auditioning for an award. (Use back of application or attach sheet.)**
3. Audition fee, $10.00, must be submitted with application. This non-refundable fee is used for scholarship funding.
4. Auditions will be held Saturday, January 25, 2020, 8:30 am - 3 pm, in the Ministries Hall of St. Philip's Anglican Church at the corner of Church and Queen in downtown Charleston.
5. Instrumentalists play two short contrasting works (one technical, one melodic) or one long piece with contrasting elements. Repeats will not be allowed. Vocalists should sing two constrasting songs (art songs in English or other languages, arias, or songs from musical theatre). NO POP SONGS may be used.
6. You must supply your own accompaniment. Live performance is best, but a CD is acceptable if noted on the application. Those auditioning should bring four (4) copies of selected repertoire. Photocopies are accepted.
7. Memorization is not required for band and string instrumentalists, unless playing a movement from a concerto. Please note that students will be allowed 10 minutes for their audition. All judges' decisions are final.
8. Each award will be sent to the institution (or teacher for private study.) An acceptance letter from the institutution must be submitted before payment is made.
9. If a scholarship is awarded to attend a particular program/workshop and the student either decides to change the program/workshop or is not accepted and elects to take private lessons, CMC reserves the right to adjust scholarship monies accordingly. Also, if the scholarship funds have already been sent to the program/workshop and the student backs out too late to have the funds refunded to the CMC, the parents are responsible for refunding the scholarship monies to the CMC. All CMC decisions are final.
10. Applicants will be notified by email of their audition time. Winners will be notified by email no later than the afternoon or evening of January 31, 2020.
11. Previous winners may not apply for the same award again. Applicants are limited to auditioning for two different awards only. Applicants are restricted to audition on a maximum of two different instruments only.
12. Address questions to Jeannie King of the Charleston Music Club.