Southern District, Eastern Region,
SC Federation of Music Clubs, and
Charleston Music Club
2021 Summer Music Study Awards Application Information and Rules
Saturday, January 23, 2021 - DEADLINE for video audition
Open to Residents of the following counties: Beaufort, Berkeley, Charleston, Colleton, Dorchester, and Jasper
1. Deadline for online application and video audition is January 23, 2021.
2. Audition fee = $10.00, must be sent with application. This non-refundable fee is used for scholarship funding.
3. Personal statement: Please explain in two or three sentences why you are auditioning for an award.
4. Video Auditions: In lieu of in-person live auditions, please submit an online application with an audition video link (e.g. YouTube private or unlisted):
Duration of video: maximum 10 minutes
Repertoire: Instrumentalists play two short contrasting works (one technical, one melodic) or one long piece with contrasting elements. NO repeats. Vocalists should sing two contrasting songs (art songs in English or other languages, arias, or songs from musical theatre.) NO POP SONGS.
Accompanist: you must supply your own for the video recording.
Copies of selections: please scan the music for your selection(s) and submit with online application.
Memorization: not required for band and string instrumentalists, unless playing a movement from a concerto.
VIDEO AUDITION: Please use the best quality recording equipment available to you, NO EDITING within the piece - only to crop beginning and end. Consider "stage deportment" including appropriate dress, bows, and stage presence. Please upload to appropriate platform like You Tube (private or unlisted) and include this link on your online application form.
5. All judges' decisions are final.
6. Each award will be sent to the institution (or teacher for private study.) An acceptance letter from the institutution must be submitted before payment is made.
7. If a scholarship is awarded to attend a particular program/workshop and the student either decides to change the program/workshop or is not accepted and elects to take private lessons, CMC reserves the right to adjust scholarship monies accordingly. Also, if the scholarship funds have already been sent to the program/workshop and the student backs out too late to have the funds refunded to the CMC, the parents are responsible for refunding the scholarship monies to the CMC. All CMC decisions are final.
Winners will be notified by email no later than the afternoon or evening of January 31, 2021. Previous winners may not apply for the same award again.
Address questions to: Jeannie King of the Charleston Music Club.